Monday, October 30, 2006

2007 Goals

Well, here goes. These goal pages are always tough, because you draw a line in the sand when you basically have no idea how the year will go. Last year I didn't have any goals. They just popped up when we had a baby and I needed to ride more efficiently. Now I have 1 hobby, and I try to make the most of it. Having a single hobby makes it easier to focus on any goal setting, since that's all you think about. Anyway, here's what 2007 (to be exact, late 2006 and most of 2007 since the biking season ends in October) looks like:

  1. Lose Weight. Always, an eternal struggle. It's not like I'm overweight anymore. I could certainly stand to lose a few pounds, but I'm not a fat hog like I used to be. My "playing weight" ranged from 202-204 in the summer to around 197 at the end of the season. This season, I'm looking to get down to the 180-185 range. That's 15 pounds less to lug up those hills!
  2. Ride in one H2H Race. I'm not a fast XC racer by trade. But it would be neat to do. I plan on using this as a training ride one week. This isn't so much a goal because it involves nothing more than my ponying up the money and entering.
  3. All 12 hours of 12 O'Muchy. That's it. No bailing, ride the whole 12. I have no aims for placing anywhere, so we'll see what happens.
  4. 10+ laps of Allamuchy 24. This will mean more efficiency, quicker pit stops, and night riding, none of which I practiced this year. With the proper training this really should not be a major obstacle, barring unforeseen mechanicals. Hopefully this does not take all of 24 hours!
  5. Sub 4:23 in All-A-Muchy 50k. By the end of next season, I really should know this park well. This is a moving target since the course changes. But it's still a goal. This is probably the most aggressive of the goals. This year's time was 5:23. This will include a shift in training from long & efficient rides under threshold to being comfortable above threshold. Lots of L5/6 training.
  6. Hillier Than Thou. This is a road century with 10,000 feet of vertical climbing. This is usually between the 24 race and the 50k. To qualify as having finished, you need to complete it in 8 hours. This should be doable. Goal is only to finish in that 8 hours.
  7. Dark Horse 40. This is just a race to do. I'm not sure it has any real meaning other than something to do. It's a good training ride and probably serves to get me more accustomed to racing.
  8. Running of the Dogs. I guess the idea is just to do it. Maybe the goal is to do 8 laps in 4 hours? That would be aggressive.
That about sums it up. I considered adding a generic 12 hour race, of which there are 4 others within a reasonable driving distance (Lodi or one of the 3 MaSuperSeries races). I also considered adding one of the Michaux races, which I really want to do. Then there's the Wilderness 101 and Shenandoah 100. But I don't know how much biking-time capitol I have to spare at this point. I need to pick & choose my events sparingly next year. Maybe in 2008 I can add a few more of this or that but for now this will have to do. Anything else is gravy.
Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home