Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ride Plan for the 24 Hour Ride

Everything I read says you should have a plan for your ride before you get there. It makes sense, because if you rely on your wits to guide you nothing but trouble can happen, especially considering I'm looking to ride more than not in the time I'm there. The one good thing is that Woody and I are riding together, making it either half as likely we'll do something stupid (2 people to think things over) or twice as likely (double the idiocy double the fun!). Consider that Woody and I once agreed it was a good idea to camp in 10 degree weather....

Maybe I should rethink this ride?

So what's the plan? Right now my concerns are more in the realm of food & drink than the physical aspect of it. While I understand that it will hurt more than I want it to, we're under no delusions that we're going to knock out any best times in our laps. As such, it gives us more leeway. So here is my basic checklist of thing to keep track of for the race:

  • Keep a maintainable pace from the gun
  • Shoot for 250-300 calories per hour
  • Shoot for ~32 ounces of liquid per hour, at least in the beginning
  • Pit stop after each lap to take stock of the ride
  • At every pit stop, record time, food eaten, liquids drank, how you feel
  • Have fun
  • Ride at least 1 night lap
  • Make sure you sleep at some point
  • Before sleep, make sure you enough recovery food
  • Shower before bed
  • If the plan isn't working, change the fucking plan!!!
  • Have fun, again

Remember to have fun. Otherwise why are you out there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home